The Black Dahlia Murder - Unhallowed (2003)

Share:

What does it take to start out well? Skill? Composition? Bad-assery? Probably. That's what I felt as I descended into this album playing it for the first time. I was gripped by the intro track and felt power, grace, and harmony. Now of course, the first track doesn't make up the whole album but that's not even where it stops. I kept getting hit with tasty melodies, sweet solos, and hot riffs. So "Unhallowed" definitely qualifies as a treat for the ears. The only thing I might have a slight issue with is with the coarse vocals, but this is a fairly new band at the time, so I'll cut them some slack. The melodies in the album is what makes it a personal favorite for me. I can tell you this is a band that has an idea of what they're doing as far as melodic death goes, to go even as far as to say that they're a prime example of newer, more modern melodic death metal bands to come around with this album. [1]

You may read:

Unhallowed opens with an eerie sample of Trevor Strnad, the groups only vocalist, reading from a book about cannibalism, and this will set the tone for the whole album. While most Death Metal, such as Cannibal Corpse (not to knock Cannibal Corpse, they're one of my favourite bands) would fill an album with songs that sound like the titles were taken from a coroner's report (Broken bone body slam, morbid erection?), The Black Dahlia Murder takes a more suspenseful path in their songs. [2]

The intro to the album is chilling, and does an excellent job of setting the overall tone of the rather macabre themes. Suddenly, the album tears into "Funeral Thirst," a track that tears at your throat with some brutal riffs and a touch of melody. Really, this is how every song carries on. There is no shortage of chunky riffing, harmonies, and well executed solos here. Textbook brutality executed by capable musicians. [3]


The guitarwork throughout is quite impressive, and my favorite aspect of the album. The drumming is pretty textbook, and doesn't really deviate from the norm- nonetheless, the drummer is good at what he does. The vocals, which alternate between a hardcorish scream (a la In Flames and At the Gates) and a death growl are a nice touch to the music. The production is also flawless. [3]

The Black Dahlia murder aren't out to break any boundaries per se; however, they are out to kick some ass. I can't help but think of mid-period death when I listen to the shredding and structures of this album. If you are a fan of classically executed death metal, chilling to the bone, I would highly recommend you obtain this album. [3]

When you see a song is titled "Rotten Body Landslide", you can guess fairly easily what it's going to be about. But TBDM goes the other way, with song titles like 'Hymn For The Wretched' and 'Funeral Thirst' they use a classic literary trick, baiting. By baiting I mean that the song drops enough of a hint to it's meaning to maintain interest, but not enough to give it away. For example, 'Thy Horror Cosmic' is, I'm sure, a song about H.P. Lovecraft's 'Cthulhu Mythos' but I can never really be sure, because the lyrics are well written enough to be intriguing, whereas, with many bands, you probably won't understand them, so they write some pretty meaningless things. [2]

All in all, Unhallowed is one of the more progressive Death Metal albums for a long while, Melodic Death leaning more heavily towards the Death end of the spectrum. It remains to be one of the only albums I've bought and not gotten bored of, including their second album, Miasma. I highly recommend at least giving a listen, as it is well worth it if you do like it. [2]

Read also:

What makes this such a good melodic album is honestly the first three tracks show that the most. "Elder Misanthropy" (#3) is very enjoyable for me any day, with it's great melody, making it my favorite track on the album. For a first full length, they did quite well, and would recommend this album. I have high hopes for them in the future as well, I can see them making it big in the metal scene. It was very much worth the money and listen. I guess the only thing that might turn people away is the shrieks by the vocalist, so I guess if that's not your style, avoid this album. They did definitely hit the right spot with the instruments and melody. [1]


Tracks
    1. Unhallowed
    2. Funeral Thirst
    3. Elder Misanthropy
    4. Contagion
    5. When The Last Grave Has Emptied
    6. Thy Horror Cosmic
    7. The Blackest Incarnation
    8. Hymn for the Wretched
    9. Closed Casket Requiem
    10. Apex
If you like it, plese buy their original CD or Digital Album on official website/store.


These reviews are written by Post Demoniun, Omicron 91 and Rasputen on Metallum.

No comments